Monday 25 February 2008

Why I love "event-blogging"

There are a whole host of digital communication tools that we use to keep in touch with each other but I still enjoy "event-blogging" most of all. "Event-blogging" is...well, exactly what it sounds like, setting up a seperate entity blog for large conferences, in our case, particularly those that take place in the US.

Why?? well there is so much to take in (and to share) at those events that they would completely overload existing channels, there are often multiple attendees from SHU (usually 2 or 3 of us) and I think a shared blog adds to that sense of community and camaraderie, I like storing "all thing Educause (etc)" in one place for future reference but most of all it is the immediacy (allowing for the time difference) of being able to share the atmosphere, the learning and the resources with those who are not attending. The observations from those sat back in the office, the questions they ask and the knowledge that they are following resources straightaway - they don't have to wait until I get back to get access. When I am back in the office and others are event-blogging - I enjoy all of those things just as much as when I'm blogging.

To see examples of my event-blogging see the links on the left.

I will save for another post the other key element to great event-blogs (imho)...the competitions and the social dynamics of the scarily competitive staff back at SHU....and the huuuuge amount I have learned about online communities and "stickiness" techniques that are worthy of loads and loads more research. Watch this space.

4 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

Event-blogging is definitely useful in both of those directions, one's own purposes and for the larger audience.

What do you think of the differences between Twittering and blogging events?

Louise said...

I think the differences make them sit easily together. Of course, I'm new to twitter and whilst I watched the eli twitter I didn't throw myself into it until I got back. I really enjoy the immediacy and all the shamelessly ecclectic aspects of twitter not to mention the sense of belonging to a community outwith my usual/easy physical group. It will be interesting to reflect on how it feels to twitter, live blog and event-blog at the next event I go to, and how they do sit together.

I think I'll still always love event-blogging too though. There is something intense about it and a brilliant way of building a giant reference book of all things (and thoughts) that participation in that event presents. Back at the ranch, I'm forever saying "I saw something on that at blah blah....I'll send you the link" - it is much better than the old days.

The other thing about the event-blog is the sense of identity you can apply to the contained space that aren't the same as the continuous conversations in things like twitter or personal blogs.

We've had some great themes evolve such as
- places the events take place eg alamo, california,
- emerging hot topics eg wikipedia, tagging, flickr,
- some things that are just spontaneous "fun" eg portmanteau words, seven steps of wikipedia, moomins

I love the fact I don't know where it is going and just get to sit back and enjoy the ride :-)

Andrew Middleton said...

At my horrific Podcasting event the other Andy Ramsden Twittered via mobile and I had to resort to pen and paper (no electricity!!!!). I blogged in depth later - and that space was useful, but different. I really want to see AR's tweats - I am guessing what he captured in 3 posts may (in the long term) be as valuable as my post-event essay.

Louise said...

think you might be disappointed:
http://twitter.com/andyramsden
"sig over - lots of food 4 thought"